Living in NYC has made me really grow to appreciate a good lox bagel sandwich. As a result, a particular craving turned into this extremely satisfying and delicious lox bagel inspired salad. So, if you are craving a salad, but also craving a lox bagel, this might just be the perfect recipe for you!Jump to Recipe
To make this salad, you will need just about everything that goes into a classic New York lox bagel sandwich with the addition of salad greens! Now, you may notice a bagel pictured above and that is because even though we are making a salad, it doesn’t mean we aren’t including a bagel. In this case, our bagel is turning into bagel croutons which is an innovation that I am currently obsessed with. One thing to note is that even though you aren’t required to use a New York bagel as your bagel of choice, it is highly recommended. So, if you are privileged to have access to a New York bagel, add that to your ingredient list. If you are wondering what makes a New York bagel so special, then check out my video on my all-time favorite bagel shop in New York City.
When it is finally time to enjoy your salad, make sure you build the ultimate bite. You might just ask yourself, is a lox bagel better as a salad? Truthfully, not many carb-based meals are better as a salad but this one comes pretty close. However, if you are looking for a more carb-forward meal, check out my latest pasta recipe here.
Watch how to make Lox Bagel Inspired Salad
Lox Bagel Inspired Salad
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1 tsp Capers Juice
- 1/4 cup Dill
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Cucumber This is usually about one mini cucumber
- 4 cups Greens
- 1/3 cup Smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Everything Bagel
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Remove the dill from its stems and finely chop it.
- Measure out your capers and lightly pat them dry.
- Mix the greek yogurt, capers, caper juice dill, lemon, salt, and caper juice together.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Place the sliced red onion in a bowl with the red wine vinegar, and gently mix. Allow this to sit for about 15-20 minutes or while you finish making the rest of the salad.
- Chop your smoked salmon into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Cut your everything bagel in half and cut the half into bite-sized pieces. Toss in olive oil.
- Place your everything bagel onto a baking tray.
- Bake the bagel pieces in the oven for 5-10 minutes watching to make sure they don't burn.
- Drain your red onion from the red wine vinegar and lightly pat the onion dry or lightly press any of the excess liquid out.
- Add your greens, red onion, cucumber, smoked salmon, and dressing to a serving bowl and mix.
- Once the salad is mixed, top with your bagel croutons and lightly mix. If any of the bagel toppings fell off onto the baking tray, feel free to toss those in too! It will add a little more everything bagel flavor.
- For a more muted caper flavor, replace the caper juice with water.
- If you are making this for two people then increase the amount of smoked salmon and greens and thin the dressing with water. Generally, this salad makes one large portion or two smaller portions, so adjust based on your needs!