I grew up with my mom making enough Christmas cookies to feed all of Manhattan. One of my favorite cookies that she would make was this holiday snowball cookie recipe. During my tenure of cookie consumption, these were made with walnuts.Jump to Recipe
However, somewhere along the way, chocolate chips were introduced into the mix and alas, Snowballs with walnuts and chocolate chips became the official holiday cookie headliner year after year. So if you are looking for a new cookie in your rotation be sure to try out this holiday snowball cookie recipe.
As a kid, I always thought these cookies were so fun because they really looked like little snowballs. Now as an adult, I am still amused, only now I am also making stop-motion videos that make it look like the powder sugar is snowing on the cookies.
Holiday Snowball Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter (8 ounces)
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 325F
- Soften butter in the microwave or on the stove
- Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla extract together
- Add the flour once the butter, sugar and vanilla are mixed
- Once your dough comes together you can add the walnuts and chocolate chips
- Mix until the dough is fully formed
- Use about 1 tbsp of dough to roll the cookies into balls
- Place on a baking sheet
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes
- Let the cookies cool
- Dip them in powdered sugar and enjoy!